Currently our extension does not work with Thunderbird 3.0.
(Sorry for any inconvenience, see From the Q-Log
on how to email files.)
Users of Mozilla Thunderbird can attach emails to a contact's Activity
Log directly using the BestNotes Thunderbird Extension. The extension
can be downloaded from our support page or by clicking on the following
link: Thurderbird Extension
Installing the BestNotes Extension
- Download the above file to a location which is easily accessible (preferably your Desktop).
- Unzip the file to the same location (Windows version XP and later
supports zip files natively - choose Open or Run after downloading
and then Extract all files or right-click on the saved file for unzip
- Open Thunderbird if it is not already started.
- From the top menubar click Tools > Add-ons.
- The Add-ons dialog will appear.
- Click the Install button at the bottom-left of the Add-ons dialog.
- Browse to location of the extracted bestnotes.xpi file, select it, and click Open.
- A Software Installation window will appear and the Install
button will countdown from 5 (click on it once to initiate
the countdown if it does not start), after that click it to install the extension.
- Click the Restart Thunderbird button.
Configuring the BestNotes Extension
- Start Thunderbird if it isn't currently running.
- Click Tools > BestNotes Configuration to bring up the dialog shown above.
- Enter your BestNotes siteid (without the numerical code at the end) in the Account ID field.
- Enter your BestNotes Username and Password in the fields provided.
- Ensure that the default BestNotes URL address reads https://crm.bestnotes.com/crmapp/
- By default the url will begin with www. this needs to be changed.
- Click the Save button
- Right-click on the Thunderbird menubar and then click Customize.
- Find the B+ icon (scrolling may be necessary) and drag it to a
location on your Thunderbird toolbar (for a cleaner look, select Icons
from the Show dropdown and check the Use Small Icons checkbox on
this same Customize Toolbar dialog).
- Click the OK button.
Attaching an Email to a Contact Activity Log
- Select the email.
- Click the B+ icon on the toolbar (see above) to bring up the Add
Message to BestNotes dialog - a list of potential contact matches will
- If there are no immediate matches, type a search term in the box provided.
- Select a single contact.
- Click the Add to BestNotes button.
An Outlook add-on is in the works which duplicates the functionality of
the Mozilla Thunderbird extension. Until then, use the procedure below
to add emails to contacts from Outlook.
From the Q-Log to Contact's Activity Log
To attach an email to a contact using the Q-log:
- Forward or Send an email to your (or another user's) Q-log email address (email@example.com).
- Click the Update button above the new Q-log entry.
- Search for associated contact in the search box at the top-right of the Update dialog.
- Click the contact name to add it to the list.
- Click Send & Archive or Send.